1) Heat a griddle to 350°F. If you don't have a griddle, heat a large frying pan over medium-low to medium heat. Grease the griddle. When it's hot enough, a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately.
2) Beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla until light and foamy, about 3 minutes at high speed of a stand or hand mixer. Stir in the melted butter or oil.
3) Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar, stirring just to combine. A few lumps are OK. Set the batter aside to rest for a couple of minutes; it'll thicken a bit as it stands.
4) Drop the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the prepared griddle or pan; a muffin scoop works well here. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon berries atop each pancake.
5) Cook the cakes till they're golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip them over, and cook till the other side is golden, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
6) Serve the pancakes immediately. Or transfer them to a platter, cover, and keep warm in a 200°F oven. Enjoy with butter and maple syrup.