1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon.
3) Work in the butter until small clumps form.
4) Add the walnuts and raisins, and toss to incorporate.
5) Pour the buttermilk into the center of the mixture and stir until the dough just becomes cohesive.
6) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and bring it together into a ball. Roll or pat the dough to 1" thickness.
7) Cut rounds using a 2" biscuit cutter and transfer to a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Gather the remaining scraps and repeat until all the dough is gone. To avoid having to re-roll, pat the dough into a square, and cut square scones.
8) Place the scones in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will help their rise and texture.
9) Brush the scones with the half & half or heavy cream, and sprinkle with the sparkling sugar.
10) Bake the scones until they begin to brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Yield: 15 to 18 scones.