1) Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 cup cupcake tin with cupcake papers.
2) Mix together the flour, pecan or almond meal, salt, butter, sugars, baking powder, egg, vanilla and HALF of the milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes.
3) Scrape the bowl, add the remainder of the milk, and beat for another 2 minutes. Stir in the butterscotch flavor and schnapps.
4) Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake papers. Each cup will be about 3/4 full.
5) Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until lightly golden brown around the edges. A cake tester inserted into the center will test clean.
6) Cool and ice as desired. Italian buttercream is a favorite, flavored with two to three tablespoons butterscotch schnapps.
7) To make homemade butterscotch candy for topping your cupcakes, see our recipe for Homemade Hard Candy.
8) Yield: 12 cupcakes.