1) Wash the oranges well, then cut the tops and bottoms off. Using your knife, cut just inside the peel, following the curve of the orange from top to bottom. Clean any pulp off the inside of the strips.
2) Cut the peel into strips about 1/4" wide (or smaller, if you like).
3) Place the peel in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, then drain the peel. Repeat this process two more times.
4) After the peel is blanched three times, combine the1 1/2 cups water, corn syrup, and sugar in the saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once the mixture is clear, add the blanched peel and simmer very slowly until the pith is translucent.
5) Remove the peels from the syrup, and roll them in granulated sugar. Place them on a lightly greased rack to dry completely before storing.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups.