1. For the latkes: In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk. Add the cottage cheese, matzo meal or flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon, beating until combined. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes so the matzo or flour can absorb the liquid.
2. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter for each latke onto a hot, greased frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook for 3 minutes on the first side before turning. After flipping, cook another 2 minutes on the second side. Drain on absorbent paper, and keep warm in a low (200°F) oven until ready to serve.
3. For the roasted apples: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Generously butter a baking sheet, pie pan, or shallow casserole dish. Quarter the apples (you can peel them or not, as you like), core them, and cut into 1/4" slices. Place them on the prepared baking sheet, and brush the tops with more butter.
4. Sprinkle the apples with sugar, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sugar melts and the apples take on some color. You can brown them under a broiler for more color, if you like. Remove from the oven and gently take the apples off the baking sheet and transfer them to a parchment-lined tray or plate before the sugar hardens.
5. To assemble: Place three latkes on a plate, arrange the apples on top, and garnish with a spoonful of sour cream, if you choose.