1) Preheat the oven to 250°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
2) In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Mix well.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, salt, honey, and bitter almond oil. Pour over the dry mixture in the bowl, stirring and tossing until everything is very well combined.
4) Spread the granola on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the granola for 90 minutes, stirring the mixture with a heatproof spatula or spoon every 15 minutes or so.
5) Remove the granola from the oven once it's darkened slightly. Allow it to rest until it's cooled a bit, but is still warm to the touch.
6) Transfer the granola to a large bowl, and mix in the chocolate chunks or chips. Allow the granola to sit for another 10 minutes, then toss again — the chocolate will have melted slightly and will produce an even coating on the granola.
7) When the granola has cooled completely, mix in the cherries.
8) Store the granola in a tightly closed container at room temperature for several weeks.
Yield: About 9 cups.