1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line two 9" round baking pans with parchment. Set aside.
2) In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and spices. Cook slowly over low heat until the butter is melted, the mixture is smooth, and you don't feel the grit of sugar on the bottom of the pan.
3) Divide the warm mixture between the two pans. Tilt the pans to spread an even layer of topping over the bottom of each.
4) Toss together 3 cups of the dried and/or candied fruits of your choice. Raisins, dried cranberries, candied cherries, dried pineapple, and dried cherries are all good choices. Divide the fruit evenly between the two pans, sprinkling generously over the topping. If desired, add 1/4 cup chopped nuts to each pan, as well. Our Favorite Fruitcake Fruit blend is perfect for this recipe.
5) Divide the prepared cake batter between the two pans. Bake the cakes for 25 to 35 minutes, or until they're golden brown and begin to pull away from the sides of the pans.
6) Remove the cakes from the oven, let sit for 3 minutes, then invert onto serving plates. Wait 30 seconds, then pull off the pans. Peel off the parchment if necessary, scraping any fruits or nuts back onto the cakes.
7) Serve warm or at room temperature, with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream. The cakes freeze very well. Thaw, then reheat in a 300°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes before serving, to freshen.
8) Yield: two 9" round cakes.