1) Butter a 1 1/2 to 2-quart baking dish, or spray it with non-stick vegetable oil baking spray.
2) Mix the cinnamon filling with the water. Spread a thin layer of the filling on one side of each slice of the bread.
3) Stack the bread in two piles. Use a serrated knife to cut the stacks of bread into slices about 3/4" wide.
4) Line the bottom of the pan with the stacked slices, piling the remaining bread on top.
5) Whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt.
6) Pour the custard mixture over the bread, gently pushing the bread down so it absorbs the liquid.
7) Let sit for an hour or so at room temperature; or overnight in the refrigerator, covered. Just before baking, preheat the oven to 350°F.
8) Bake the pudding for 50 to 60 minutes, until the top is puffy and browned. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with maple syrup or sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.
Yield: about 8 to 10 servings.