1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg.
3) Mix in the flour, salt, baking powder, and 1 1/2 cups of the coconut. Spread the mixture in an ungreased 9" x 13" pan.
4) Bake for 15 minutes.
5) While the crust is baking, melt the caramel with the cream in the microwave, or in a saucepan set over a burner. Stir to combine.
6) Drizzle the caramel over the crust, and return it to the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust is medium brown.
7) Remove the pan from the oven, and sprinkle the chopped chocolate atop the crust. Allow the chocolate to soften for about 5 minutes, then spread it evenly over the crust.
8) Sprinkle the reserved coconut on top.
9) Cool for 30 minutes; while still slightly warm, loosen the edges and cut into bars. Cool completely before serving.
Yield: 24 bars.