|Be the first to rate this recipe »|
|Yield:||about 9 to 12 servings|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" square pan.
2) To make the cake: Beat the sugar, butter and vanilla together until well blended and lighter in color.
3) Add the egg and beat on medium speed for 1 minute, then scrape the bowl.
4) Stir one-third of the baking mix into the mixture; stir in half the milk, another third of the baking mix, the remaining milk and the remaining mix. Scrape the bowl occasionally throughout this process.
5) Scoop the batter into the prepared pan.
6) Bake the cake until a cake tester comes out clean and the middle springs back when pressed lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Near the end of the cake's baking time, make the topping.
7) To make the topping: Combine the butter, milk, and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until blended.
8) Remove from the heat; stir in the vanilla, coconut, and pecans.
9) Remove the cake from the oven, and spoon the topping mixture over the top.
10) Turn the broiler on. Once heated, place the cake under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, until the topping is browned.
11) Remove the cake from the oven. Run a spatula around the edges of the pan to loosen. Cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Yield: about 9 to 12 servings.