1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Heat a 9" square or round cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until it's starting to crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard the drippings, but don't clean the pan.
3) Pour the milk into a saucepan, and heat to simmering. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal, stirring to prevent lumps from forming.
4) Add the sugar, salt, pepper, cooked bacon, and corn. Stir over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Remove the cornmeal mixture from the heat, then stir in the egg yolks one at a time until incorporated. Allow to cool slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
6) Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold a bit of the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture to lighten it a little, then fold all of the cornmeal mixture into the egg whites. Transfer the batter to the bacon-seasoned cast-iron pan.
7) Bake the spoonbread for 50 to 60 minutes, until it?s set in the middle and golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and serve hot, right out of the pan.
Yield: one 9" spoonbread.