1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.
2) Beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg; scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and beat until smooth.
3) Beat in the applesauce and boiled cider, juice, or water.
4) Stir in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and flour, mixing until well-combined.
5) Stir in the raisins and nuts.
6) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar or cinnamon-sugar, if desired.
7) Bake the bread for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The center of the loaf should register at least 200°F on an instant-read thermometer; when the tip of the thermometer is inserted just under the crust, it should read at least 175°F.
8) Remove the bread from the oven, and after 10 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. When completely cool, wrap tightly in plastic, and store at room temperature. The loaf will remain fresh for several days; for longer storage, freeze.
Yield: one 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf.