1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour one 9" x 2" round cake pan. Be sure your pan measures at least 2" deep,to avoid overflow. If you only have an 8" round pan, fill it only halfway, and bake your extra batter in ramekins or cupcake tins.
2) Bring the carrots, raisins, water, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and cloves to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
3) Remove the mixture from the heat, transfer to a mixing bowl, and refrigerate to cool to lukewarm. The liquid will be slightly syrupy and fragrant.
4) When the carrot mixture is cooled, add the flours, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined and no streaks of flour remain. Fold in the nuts.
5) Scrape the thick batter into the pan, spreading it evenly. Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6) Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting or a dusting of confectioners' sugar.
Yield: one 9" round cake.