1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a square pop-up tart pan (with removable bottoms), or a standard 12 cup muffin pan, with non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray; set aside.
2) In a heat-proof bowl microwave the fresh cherries and 2 tablespoons of soaking liquid for 30 seconds. Kirsch (cherry brandy), fruit juice, or water will all work fine. Set cherries aside to cool.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer place the almond paste, butter, and sugar. Beat on medium speed until no lumps remain.
4) Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until well incorporated.
5) On low speed mix, in the all-purpose and almond flours until combined. Do not overbeat.
6) Drain and stir the cherries into the batter. Fill each well 3/4 full for pop-up tart pan, or 1/2 full for muffin tins; spread the batter level. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes for tarts, 18 to 20 minutes for muffin tins.
7) Cool tarts for 5 to 8 minutes in the pans, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Yield: 15 to 18 tarts.