1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9" x 9" x 2" baking pan or a 2-quart baking dish.
2) To make the filling: Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and spice.
3) Toss with the fruit and lemon juice. Set aside while making the topping.
4) To make the topping: Whisk together egg and sugar until well blended.
5) Stir in the melted butter, milk, and vanilla.
6) Add the baking mix, stirring until well combined.
7) To assemble: Pour the batter into the pan. Spoon the fruit mixture (including any syrup that may have accumulated) over the batter.
8) Bake until the cake is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm, with whipped cream or ice cream.
Yield: about 9 servings.
We do have a reworked version of the recipe online now that uses more milk and omits the sherry. It sounds as though your fruit may not have been especially juicy. If you would like to troubleshoot together, please do give our Bakers' Hotline a call (855 371 2253).~Jaydl@KAF