1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease (or line with papers, and grease the papers) a 12-cup muffin pan.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the minced crystallized ginger.
3) In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and oil, and stir into the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots.
4) Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them almost full. Allow the muffins to rest for 10 minutes before baking.
5) Bake the muffins for 20 to 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
6) Remove the muffins from the oven, and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
Yield: 12 muffins.