1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line with parchment.
2) Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and diced ginger; set aside.
3) In a large bowl, beat together the butter, spices, salt, and sugar.
4) Beat in the molasses and egg, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
5) Use a tablespoon scoop or a spoon to scoop walnut-sized balls of dough. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets.
6) Bake the cookies for 9 to 12 minutes, until they look set but haven't browned. Remove them from the oven, and cool right on the pan.
Yield: about 45 cookies.