1) Place the pan of gingerbread in the freezer, covered, for a couple of hours; this will make it easier to work with.
2) Remove the cake from the freezer and turn it out of the pan onto a cutting board.
3) Using a serrated knife, trim ½" from each edge of the cake so that the sides are straight; the cake will now be about 8" x 8".
4) Cut the cake into 2" cubes, making a total of 16 cubes.
5) Cut 5 cubes on the diagonal into triangles. Spread frosting along the long edge of each triangle, and place the frosted side of the triangle on one edge of each cube. There'll be one cube without a roof; baker's treat!
6) Insert a piece of licorice into each roof to make a chimney. Put a dab of frosting on the front of each house, and add a sugar wreath; pipe a frosting doorframe, if desired. Finally, dust the houses with confectioners' or non-melting sugar.
Yield: 10 houses.