1) Grease and flour a 9" square pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
3) Melt the butter in a heatproof measuring cup. Add the molasses to the cup, and pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl, mixing to moisten.
4) Add the water, stirring until everything is moistened. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Stir into the batter until it's evenly combined. Stir in the crystallized ginger.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake just begins to pull away from the edge of the pan.
6) Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing; gingerbread is best served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Hi Jessica- You certainly can double that recipe, but you would need a pretty big pan, 15" x 10" is what I would go for. You could also use a 9" x 13" and then make a few mini loaves or muffins with the left over. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call our Baker's Hotline at 855-371-2253. Happy Holiday Baking! Jocelyn@KAF