1) To prepare the pears: Heat the water and sugar in a large saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
2) Add the ginger and orange zest and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the pears, and cover with a round piece of parchment.
3) Simmer the pears for about 20 minutes, until tender; they may take shorter or longer depending on how ripe they are, and which variety you choose.
4) Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the pears cool to room temperature in the poaching liquid.
5) Drain the pears, reserving 2 tablespoons of the poaching liquid.
6) To make the topping: Whip the cream with the 2 tablespoons poaching liquid until soft peaks form.
7) Slice the pears lengthwise into quarters. Slice the cooled scones in half horizontally, then sandwich the two halves with a dollop of whipped cream and slices of pear.
Yield: 8 servings.