1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
3) Add the eggs, beating to combine.
4) Stir in the nutmeg and vanilla.
5) Stir the gluten-free baking mix into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the baking mix and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
6) Transfer the batter to the prepared doughnut pans, filling the wells to about 1/4" below the rim. A teaspoon cookie scoop works well for this; as does a piping bag, or a plastic sandwich bag with the corner cut off.
7) Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes, until set. Remove them from the oven, and wait 5 to 7 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack. Enjoy warm; or cool completely.
8) Shake doughnuts in a plastic or paper bag with about 1/2 cup non-melting white sugar (for best results), or confectioners' sugar.
Yield: 12 doughnuts.
Hi Kat- I'm so sorry to hear what an awful experience you had with this recipe as others seem to have enjoyed it, but I would recommend trying our gluten-free doughnut mix as an alternative to see if you like those better. If you'd like to talk through this recipe or have any other questions, please give our baker's hotline a call at 855-371-2253 and we'd love the opportunity to help you find a delicious GF doughnut! Jocelyn@KAF