|Be the first to rate this recipe »|
|gluten free, quick-n-easy|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F, with a rack in the center.
2) Whisk the spices into the baking mix.
3) Work the cold butter into the baking mix, leaving some butter in small, visible pieces.
4) Stir in the dried fruit.
5) Whisk together the milk and eggs, and stir into the dry mixture.
6) Turn the dough into a greased 8" x 8" baking pan, pressing it into the pan evenly.* Brush the top with melted butter.
7) Bake the biscuits for 18 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely in the pan. When cool, cut into 9 squares.
7) To make the icing, mix the sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make a mixture that's smooth and pipeable. Pipe the icing atop the squares in the typical cross shape.
Yield: 9 hot cross biscuits.
*To make drop biscuits, see "tips," below.