1) Preheat your griddle to medium-high; if you have an electric griddle, set it to 350°F.
2) Whisk together the baking mix and sugar.
3) Whisk the egg, oil, milk and vanilla together.
4) Whisk the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients until blended. Allow the batter to sit for 10 minutes, to thicken.
5) Lightly grease the griddle.
6) Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle. A tablespoon cookie scoop works great here.
7) Spread the batter out with the back of a spoon. To ensure fluffy pancakes, the batter should be thicker than that used for conventional pancakes. If you like thinner pancakes, add a small amount of milk; but the batter should still stay fairly thick.
8) Cook until the edges are firm, bubbles form, and the tops lose their gloss. Turn over to finish cooking. Note: gluten-free pancakes take slightly longer to cook than wheat-based pancakes do.
9) Serve warm, with butter and syrup.
Yield: eight 4" pancakes.