1) Whisk together the eggs, melted butter or oil, milk, and vanilla.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Stir in the egg mixture.
3) To make pancakes: Preheat the griddle to medium (350°F), greasing it lightly. Scoop the batter by ¼-cupfuls onto the griddle.
4) Cook pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes, till the tops lose their shine and bottoms are golden brown. Flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on the other side.
5) Serve hot, with butter and syrup.
6) To make waffles: Prepare the batter as directed, adding the extra fat; this will help make the waffles crisp. To cook, follow the directions that come with your waffle iron.
Yield: 16 medium (4") pancakes; or 10 full-size waffles
*Make your own blend
Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer.
The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour.
Whisk together 6 cups (28 1/2 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it'll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).
It sounds like there was a bit too much flour in this one- did you make your own mix, or use ours? Gluten free flour has starches that will continue to absorb liquids as it rests. Give us a call a 1-855-371-2253 and we can help you troubleshoot. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF
We're sorry this recipe didn't work for you. The batter does need to rest before griddling, and a bit of milk usually loosens it up. Please give the Bakers a call and we'll help you through the next batch. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF 0 stars.