1) Preheat your oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
2) Beat the butter and almond paste until smooth. Add the extract and blend in the cookie mix; the dough will be crumbly. Remove 1 1/2 cups of crumbs to reserve for streusel topping.
3) Add the egg to the remaining mix and blend until smooth. Spread the dough in an even layer in the bottom of your prepared pan.
4) Warm the jam and spread it over the dough. Lightly mix the almonds with the reserved crumbs, and sprinkle evenly over the jam. Top with sparkling sugar, if desired.
5) Bake the bars for 26 to 28 minutes, until they're golden brown and the jam is bubbly. Remove from the oven, cool for 30 minutes, then cut into squares while still warm. Cool completely before serving.
Yield: 24 bars.