1) In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, butter or shortening, molasses, and egg until blended.
2) Stir in the baking mix and spices.
3) Refrigerate the dough, covered, for a minimum of 1 hour, or up to 2 days.
4) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
5) Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into balls. Dip the tops of the balls in sugar.
6) Place the balls, sugar-side up and 2" apart, on ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheets.
7) Bake the cookies just until set and not raw-looking, about 13 to 16 minutes.
8) Remove the cookies from the oven. For softer cookies, immediately transfer them from the baking sheets to a cooling rack. For crispier cookies, allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring them to a rack to finish cooling.
Yield: 32 cookies.