1) In a large bowl whisk together the flours, flax meal, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter or oil, eggs, and buttermilk.
3) Whisk the buttermilk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients until well combined; a few lumps are fine.
4) Let the batter sit for about 15 minutes to thicken slightly while heating your waffle iron or griddle.
5) Rub a small amount of vegetable oil on the waffle iron or griddle, or spray with non-stick baking spray. To keep the cakes gluten free, be sure the spray doesn't contain flour
6) Bake waffles as directed on your waffle maker.
7) To make pancakes, scoop the batter onto the hot surface to the desired size, about 4" to 5"; a ¼-cup muffin scoop works well here. Allow the pancakes to cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side. Watch for bubbles on the surface of the pancake; when bubbles start to rise to the surface at the center of the pancake, flip it over. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until nicely browned.
8) Serve waffles or pancakes with butter and maple syrup.
Yield: 6 to 8 waffles, or 14 to 15 pancakes.