1) Whisk dry ingredients together well.
2) Add the dry ingredients to the starter and beat until well-blended.
3) Add the water, oil, and egg to the mixture and beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes. The batter should resemble a thick paste.
4) Cover the bowl and allow the batter to rise for 1 to 2 hours. It won't double in size, but will be noticeably puffy.
5)Preheat your electric or stove top griddle to a medium heat and lightly spray 6 English muffin rings with oil. You can sprinkle the surface of the griddle inside the rings with cornmeal if desired to help prevent sticking.
6) When the griddle is hot, divide the batter among the rings; cook until the bottoms are set, then carefully remove the rings.
7) Cook for 7 to 10 minutes on the first side, then flip over.
8) Cook for another 7 to 10 minutes, or until the muffins reach an internal temperature of 210°F. Transfer to a rack to cool completely before cutting and/or freezing.
Yield: 6 to 8 muffins.