|Be the first to rate this recipe »|
|Yield:||10 small whoopie pies|
1) Preheat the oven to 325° F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line them with parchment.
2) To make the cakes: In the bowl of your stand mixer, stir together the flours, brown sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt and strawberry powder.
3) Stir in the butter milk, egg, and flavorings, and beat on medium speed for 10 seconds. Stir in drops of food coloring, if using to brighten.
4) Scoop the batter onto the prepared baking sheet with a cookie-scoop-tablespoon-scoop. Bake the cakes for 10 to 12 minutes; they'll spring back lightly when pressed. Cool completely before filling.
5) To make the filling: Beat together the strawberries, butter, cream cheese, salt, and flavors using an electric mixer, until the strawberries have broken down and tinted the mixture pink.
6) Add the sugar about 1/4 cup at a time, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
7) Beat the heavy cream to stiff peaks, and fold it into the filling mixture until everything is evenly blended.
8) Spread or pipe the flat side of half the cakes with a thick layer of filling. Top with the remaining cakes, flat side down. If you're planning to make these ahead, keep the filling in the refrigerator and fill the cakes just before serving.
9) Serve within an hour or so. Refrigerate any leftovers, well-wrapped. Cakes can be frozen for several weeks; filling should be prepared just before serving.
Yield: 10 small whoopie pies.
[ Add New Instruction ]