1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two standard muffin pans with cupcake papers or tulip muffin papers.
2) Beat together the butter, sugar, nutmeg, salt, and eggnog flavor until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl. Stir in the rum or brandy.
3) Whisk the flour and baking powder together. Beat in half the flour mixture, then half the cream. Repeat, being sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl occasionally.
4) Spoon 1/3 cup of batter into each of the prepared cups.
5) Bake the cakes for 28 to 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. When done, the top of a cupcake should bounce back when lightly touched, and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes in the middle of the pan should come out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
6) Remove the pans from the oven. Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto racks to cool completely. If you're going to ice them, wait until they're completely col to do so.
Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes.