1) Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" square cake pan; line it with parchment and grease the parchment, if you don't trust your pan to release the cake nicely.
2) Pour the prepared pound cake batter into the pan.
3) Bake the cake for about 40 minutes, till a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out without any clinging crumbs.
4) Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
5) When you're ready to make grilled chocolate sandwiches, slice the cake in long strips, about 3/8" thick.
6) Butter one side of each strip.
7) Space three chocolate rectangles along the unbuttered side of half the strips. Top with the remaining cake strips, buttered-side up.
8) Cut each strip in thirds crosswise, cutting between the pieces of chocolate.
9) Cook the cake sandwiches on a griddle preheated to about 325°F to 350°F; or in a frying pan set over medium heat. Cook till the cake is golden and the chocolate melted, about 2 minutes per side. Hint: Cook one sandwich first, to test the temperature/timing.
10) Serve as is, or with a scoop of ice cream.
Yield: 4 dozen pieces, about 16 servings.