1) Prepare a half sheet pan with lipped edge by lining it with parchment paper and set aside. If you are making lollipops you can use a store bought mold, or see our step by step blog for instructions on how to make a mold from sugar.
2) In a 4 cup heat-proof measuring cup combine 1/2 cup light corn syrup with 1 cup granulated white sugar. Stir until all of the sugar is moistened.
3) Cover the cup with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Remember to use all proper precautions when dealing with hot sugar to prevent burns.
4) Remove the cup, carefully remove the plastic wrap (beware of steam) and stir for 10 seconds. Cover with new plastic wrap and microwave for an additional 3 minutes on high.
5) At the end of the cooking time remove the plastic wrap and let the mixture cool for about 10 seconds. Vigorously stir in 1/8 teaspoon of your favorite LorAnn extra strong flavoring. Food coloring can also be added at this time if desired.
6) Carefully pour the hot cooked sugar into your molds, or onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside to firm and harden. Depending on humidity, room temperature, size of the mold etc. this can take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, or up to overnight.
7) To serve, carefully remove your pops from the molds or break the large slab of candy into small pieces. Dusting the finished candy with confectioners' sugar will keep the pieces from sticking together.
8) Serve immediately or store airtight for several weeks.