|4.9028573 (3)||rate this recipe »|
Most recipes you see for this cake start with "One box yellow cake mix". For those bakers who believe in starting from scratch, your prayers are answered.
1 3/4 cups (12 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup (4 ounces, 1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (2 ounces) vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3 tablespoons (1 1/8 ounces) cornstarch
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup (6 ounces) orange juice
1/4 cup (2 ounces) Galliano
1/4 cup (2 ounces) vodka
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 cup (4 ounces) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon Galliano
1 teaspoon vodka
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-cup Bundt® pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, butter and salt until fluffy. Beat in the oil, then the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg completely disappears before adding the next one. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
3. In a measuring cup, stir together the orange juice, Galliano, vodka, and orange zest.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Add 1/3 of this mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing until it disappears. Add half the liquid and beat in. Scrape the bowl, then add another third of the dry ingredients and mix in. Add the remaining liquid, mix, scrape the bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients mix until combined, scrape the bowl, and mix for one minute more.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing out the top.
6. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn the cake out of the pan on to a serving plate.
7. For the glaze, combine all of the ingredients and brush over the cake while it’s still lukewarm.
Yield: 1 large cake,20 servings.
Nutrition information per serving (1 slice, 67g): 246 calories, 8g fat, 0g fiber, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 33mg Cholesterol, 177mg sodium,2 g protein, 26g sugars, 5mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 73mg calcium, 0mg caffeine.