1) Stir together all of the ingredients except the cornmeal or semolina. Beat until the dough is glossy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
2) Cover the bowl, and let dough rise at warm room temperature until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
3) Preheat both the oven and a griddle or heavy skillet to 350°F (medium high heat). Grease metal muffin rings.
4) Place rings on the griddle, and sprinkle a little cornmeal or semolina into each; this will give muffins their traditional crust.
5) Scoop 1/3 cup of dough into each ring and spread the dough to the edge of the ring. (wet your fingers to stop the dough from sticking to them). Sprinkle with more semolina.
6) Cook the muffins for 5 to 6 minutes, until the edges look set and the bottom is golden brown. Flip the muffins, and cook the second side for 5 to 6 minutes.
7) Place the muffins on a baking sheet and place into a 350°F oven for 5 minutes.
8) Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes, and remove the rings (if they haven't already fallen off). Cool the muffins on a rack, and store at room temperature, well wrapped.
Yield: 12 English muffins.