1) Combine the cherries and Grand Marnier or orange juice in a microwave-safe cup. Heat in the microwave till very hot, then set aside for the fruit to soften, about an hour or so.
2) Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Spread the bread cubes in the dish.
3) Whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, flavorings, and salt.
4) Sprinkle the cherries over the bread cubes.
5) Pour the milk mixture over the bread and cherries, pressing the bread down into the milk.
6) Let set for an hour or so, at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator, covered. Just before baking, preheat the oven to 350°F.
7) Bake the pudding for 45 to 55 minutes, uncovered, until the top is browned and the middle springs back when lightly pressed. Remove form the oven, and grate fresh nutmeg
Yield: about 8 to 10 servings.