1) To make the starter: Mix all of the ingredients together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Cover and let sit for 14 to 16 hours at room temperature.
2) To make the dough: Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Using the dough hook, mix and knead for 3 minutes on first speed, and about 2 minutes on second speed; the dough will be shaggy, and won't look kneaded.
3) Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 to 45 minutes; it won't rise significantly.
4) Gently deflate the dough, shape it into a ball, and place it into a stoneware bread-baking bowl, or onto a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
5) Cover the loaf and let it rise for 50 to 60 minutes in a warm place.
6) Preheat the oven to 450°F.
7) Slash a cross onto the top of the bread, to allow for expansion.
8) Bake the bread for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 425°F, and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes, until the loaf's surface is golden brown.
9) Remove the bread from the oven and, after 5 minutes, transfer it to a rack to cool completely. The baked bread should rest for 24 hours before slicing, for best quality.
10) Store bread at room temperature, loosely wrapped, for up to 5 days or so; freeze for longer storage.
Yield: 1 loaf.