1) Mix and knead together all of the dough ingredients, by hand, mixer or bread machine, to make a soft, smooth dough. If kneading by hand, this will take awhile due to the amount of butter in the dough.
2) Allow the dough to rise, covered, for about 1 hour, or until it's quite puffy.
3) Divide the dough into 20 pieces (about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ ounces each) to make mini brioche; or 12 pieces to make larger individual brioche in muffin cups; or 2 pieces for large paper brioche pans.
4) Roll the dough into balls, and place into brioche papers or greased muffin cups.
5) Cover and allow to rise until doubled and puffy.
6) Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
7) Bake the brioche for 14 to 18 minutes (for small brioche); 18 to 20 minutes (for muffin-sized brioche); or 20 to 25 minutes for two large brioche. The finished bread will be golden brown. Remove from the oven, and cool completely.
8) To fill small brioche, cut the tops off the cooled brioche. Fill with a teaspoonful of raspberry jam and whipped cream, Devon cream, or lemon crème fraîche. Place tops back on and dust with confectioners' sugar.