1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease the 12 wells of a standard muffin pan.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) In another bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, maple flavor, and egg.
4) Pour the liquid all at once into the flour mixture, stirring quickly and gently until just combined. Once everything is barely combined, stir in the melted butter; there's no need to beat it, just stirring is fine.
5) Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, filling the muffin cups about 2/3 full.
6) Bake the muffins for 15 to 18 minutes, until one of the center muffins tests done: the top should spring back lightly, and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
7) Remove the muffins from the oven, and as soon as you can safely handle them, transfer them to a rack. Serve warm, or at room temperature. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.
Yield: 12 muffins.