1) To make the filling: Whisk together the brown sugar and flour. Stir in the maple syrup and melted butter. Set aside.
2) Combine all the dough ingredients in a large bowl, mixing and then kneading to make a smooth, fairly soft dough.
3) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour; it'll be puffy, though not necessarily doubled in bulk.
4) Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a greased or floured work surface.
5) Divide the dough into about 50 pieces; don't worry about making them completely even.
6) Toss the dough pieces with the filling mixture and the chopped walnuts.
7) Place into a greased 1 ½-quart baking pan or 9" round cake pan. Distribute any extra filling over the dough.
8) Cover the bread and let it rise until puffy, about 45 to 60 minutes. While it's rising, preheat the oven to 350°F.
9) Bake the bread for 25 to 35 minutes, or until it's starting to brown and feels firm to the touch; the inside will register about 190°F on an instant-read thermometer
10) Remove the bread from the oven, let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then enjoy warm.
Yield: about 8 servings.