1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 10" pie plate or 9" square cake pan. Melt 1 tablespoon butter, and drizzle it into the bottom of the pan.
2) Spread the chopped cranberries and nuts in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup sugar.
3) In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, 3/4 cup melted butter, sugar, flour, salt, vanilla, and almond extract.
4) Spread the thick batter over the cranberries and nuts in the pan, using a spatula or your wet fingers.
5) Sprinkle coarse white sparkling sugar atop the batter.
6) Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean of batter or crumbs.
7) Remove the cake from the oven. Serve warm, or at room temperature; just as it is, or with whipped cream or ice cream.
Yield: one 10" "pie" or 9" square cake.