1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) To prepare the pan: Melt 1/4 cup of butter in the bottom of an 8" square or 9" round pan; set the pan aside while you make the batter.
3) To make the batter: Mix the baking mix and sugar.
4) Blend in the milk and egg; pour the batter over the melted butter in the pan.
5) To prepare the fruit: If you're using fresh peaches, peel, pit, and slice them. If the peaches are sliced/frozen, thaw them.
6) Mix the sugar, salt, and cinnamon or nutmeg into the peaches.
7) To assemble and bake: Spoon the peach mixture over the top of the batter.
8) Bake until the top is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling, about 40 to 45 minutes.
9) Remove the cobbler from the oven, and allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings.