1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a divided scone pan, or have at hand an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
2) Whisk together the baking mix, sugar, and nutmeg.
3) Partially work in the cold butter, leaving some in small, visible pieces.
4) Stir in the dried fruit.
5) Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla until frothy.
6) Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended. The dough should be sticky but cohesive.
7) Drop dough by the 1/3-cupful into the scone pan or onto the baking sheet.
8) Sprinkle the scones with cinnamon-sugar, if desired.
9) Bake the scones for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and let them rest for 10 minutes or so before serving. These are best enjoyed slightly warm, with butter and jam.
Yield: 6 to 8 scones.