1) Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Beat in the wet ingredients to make a smooth, soft dough.
3) Transfer the dough to a heavily floured work surface and divide it into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter, and 16" long.
4) Cut each rope into 4" pieces.
5) Working with one piece at a time, pinch the center, giving it a slender "waist" about 1/2" thick. Plump the ends into knobs so the whole thing resembles a bone.
6) Transfer the "bones" to the prepared baking sheets and refrigerate overnight, uncovered.
7) The next day, remove the cookies from the refrigerator. Allow them to rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Towards the end of the rest, preheat the oven to 300°F.
8) Bake the cookies for 15 to 25 minutes. Bake less time for a cookie that's lightly crunchy on the outside and chewy within, and longer for a hard, crunchy cookie.
9) Remove the cookies from the oven, cool, and roll the cookies in non-melting sugar. If you don't have non-melting sugar, coat in confectioners' sugar just before serving.
Yield: approximately 32 cookies.