1) Whisk together the egg, milk, vegetable oil or melted butter, and vanilla.
2) Whisk together the dry ingredients, and add to the liquid ingredients, whisking briefly to combine. A few lumps are OK.
3) Choose your add-ins: chocolate or flavored chips, dried fruit, fresh berries, diced apples, nuts, toasted coconut, crystallized ginger, or...? To make all one type of pancake, simply stir the add-ins into the batter. Or divide the batter in half, and make two types of pancakes. For a larger variety of pancakes, leave the batter plain; you'll sprinkle on the add-ins as the pancakes cook. Note: If you use cinnamon Flav-R-Bites, stir them into the batter, rather than sprinkling them on top of the cooking pancakes. They need that pre-softening in the batter to soften their crunch.
4) Set the batter aside to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes, while you preheat your electric griddle to 350°F. Or preheat a frying pan over medium heat.
5) Lightly grease the griddle, and ladle on about 2 tablespoons for 2 1/2" to 3" pancakes, or 1/4 cup for 4" to 4 1/2" pancakes. A tablespoon scoop or muffin scoop, respectively, work well here.
6) If the pancakes don't spread well, due to the add-ins, simply use the back of a spoon to spread them to the desired diameter. If you haven't stirred the add-ins into the batter, now's the time: sprinkle the top of each pancake with your desired chips, nuts, fruit, etc.
7) Cook the pancakes for about 1 minute, 15 seconds per side, or until they're a light golden brown on both sides.
8) Serve the pancakes warm, with syrup or confectioners' sugar.
Yield: eight 4" pancakes, or 14 smaller (3") cakes.