1) To make the bread: Mix and knead the ingredients together — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth, slightly sticky dough.
2) Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it?s almost doubled in size.
3) Gently deflate the dough, shape it into a ball, place it in a cloche (covered stone) baker, and cover.
4) Let the loaf rise for 30 to 45 minutes, until it's almost doubled. Slash the top of the loaf several times, cover with the lid, and place in a cold oven.
5) Set the oven to 400°F. Bake for 35 minutes; remove the lid, and bake until the center of the bread is golden brown and registers 190°F to 200°F on an instant-read thermometer, another 5 to 10 minutes.
6) To make the salad: Combine the garlic and olive oils. Brush both sides of the bread slices lightly with some of the oil, reserving the rest.
7) Grill or broil both sides of the bread slices until lightly toasted. Let cool; cut into 1/2" cubes.
8) Combine the reserved oil with the vinegar in a salad bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients (except the bread), tossing to combine.
9) Just before serving, stir in the bread, letting it soak up the tomato juice for a minute or two. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 quarts, 8 to 12 servings.