1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3) Work in small pieces of the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4) Stir in the Parmesan, pine nuts, and rosemary.
5) Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Add all at once to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until everything is well moistened.
6) Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and fold it over on itself three or four times, until it comes together.
7) Pat or roll the dough into a 3/4"-thick circle or square.
8) Cut the dough into squares or rounds with a 2" biscuit cutter, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
9) Stack the scraps on top of each other, fold them as you did for the original dough, pat out, and cut again.
10) Brush the tops with more buttermilk and sprinkle with more cheese, if desired.
11) Bake the biscuits for 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
12) Remove the biscuits from the oven, and serve warm.
Yield: 12 to 14 biscuits.