1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish, 9" x 9" square pan, or similar-size baking dish.
2) To prepare the peaches: Stir the peaches together with the remaining ingredients.
3) To prepare the crumbs: Mix the crumbs with the butter, stirring to combine.
4) To assemble the betty: Place 1/3 of the crumbs in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with half the peaches.
5) Spread half the remaining crumbs atop the peaches. Top with the remaining peaches.
6) Sprinkle the remaining crumbs evenly on top. Cover the casserole or pan with a lid or aluminum foil.
7) Bake the betty for 40 minutes, until bubbling.
8) Remove the cover, increase the oven heat to 400°F, and and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
9) Remove the betty from the oven. Serve hot or warm, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 9 to 12 servings.