1) Mix and knead the dough ingredients together to make a soft, smooth dough.
2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or 8-cup measure, cover, and let rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until just about doubled in bulk.
3) Preheat the oven to 450°F, with a pizza stone on the bottom rack. If you don't have a pizza stone, see tips, below.
4) Gently deflate the dough, and divide it into 8 pieces.
5) Shape each into a ball, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
6) Working with two pieces of dough at a time, roll each into a 6" circle. Transfer them to the hot stone.
7) Bake for 4 minutes, until puffy. Turn them over, and bake for an additional minute. Remove from the oven, and place on a rack to cool.
8) Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.
9) Once the pitas are cool, carefully separate the two sides of each to make 16 thin rounds.
10) Brush rounds with oil or butter, and sprinkle with the topping of your choice, sweet or savory.
11) Cut each round into 8 wedges. Divide the wedges between two parchment-lined baking sheets.
12) Bake the chips in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until crisp; turn the chips over after 10 minutes of baking.
13) chips from the oven, cool completely on the pan, wrap airtight, and store at room temperature.
Yield: 8 pitas, 128 chips.