1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" x 2" square pan; or a 9" x 2" round pan. To assure crumble-free removal of the cake from the round pan, line the pan with parchment.
2) Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and Cake Enhancer in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
3) Cut the butter into pats, and add it to the bowl. Mix at low speed until the mixture is evenly crumbly.
4) In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, and almond.
5) Add half the milk/egg mixture to the flour in the bowl. Beat just to combine, then add the remaining milk/egg mixture, beating just to combine.
6) Stir in the lemon juice.
7) Beat the batter at high speed for 15 seconds, to make sure everything is totally combined.
8) Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
9) Bake the cake on your oven's middle rack for 35 to 38 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the center of the top springs back when pressed lightly with your finger.
10) Remove the cake from the oven, and place it on a rack. After 10 to 15 minutes, loosen its edges with a table knife or spatula; and carefully turn it out onto a rack. Peel off the parchment, and turn it right side up. Let the cake cool completely before serving. Serve plain; sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, or spread with your favorite icing.
Yield: one 9" round single layer or 8" square cake, 12 to 16 servings.