1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars, flour, salt, and spices.
3) Beat together the eggs, pumpkin, and cream or evaporated milk.
4) Whisk the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients. For best flavor, cover and refrigerate the filling overnight before baking.
5) Place nine round, shallow, ¾-cup capacity oven-safe dishes on a baking sheet. Pour 1/2 cup filling into each.
6) Bake for 24 to 28 minutes, until set. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate while you make the crust for the top; filling can be baked, then refrigerated for a couple of days before finishing, if desired.
7) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
8) Roll the pie dough into a 7" x 9" rectangle.
9) Cut out 18 or more mini shapes (stars, leaves, etc.; mini cookie cutters are a help here), and place on a baking sheet.
10) Bake the shapes until golden brown, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days, if desired.
11) Just before serving, top each dish with two of the pie crust shapes. Serve with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 9 mini pies.